Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Movies and Happiness

Sometimes we forget about the simple things that make us happy. I still recall the thrill and exhilaration of turning a doorknob after spending months in a cast for my broken wrists. I discovered some innovative and creative ways of doing simple things in life such as eating, showering, washing my hair, typing and so forth...but I was never able to turn a doorknob. I actually began to cry tears of joy when I could open and close my front door.

I share that same feeling now. I am so happy that I have a bed to sleep in at night (and it is my bed too!) I am happy that I have my own kitchen with my own plates and cutlery. I am happy that I have food in my cupboard, drawers and fridge. I am happy that I have clothes to wash, dry, fold and put away. I am happy that I have access to speak to you now on the internet and that I pay for this service. I am equally happy that I have a computer and keyboard to type. There are so many marvellous things in my apartment such as towels, hair dryers, facial wash, body wash, lotion, q-tips, maxipads, shampoo and scrubs. There are blankets, sheets, pillows and games. There are laptops, notebooks, pens, binders and paper. There is a printer/scanner/ photocopier, playstation 2 and dvd recorder. There is a wealth of books and neocitrans.

I feel like a queen in my own castle. I am more happy because there is enough electricity to illuminate it and enough water for me to wash myself and dishes. What more could a person ask for? Sometimes we need movies to remind us of our luxories and to remind us that even in our darkest hours, we still have something. If you are wondering what movie has inspired me so greatly, it is The Pursuit of Happyness.

I also enjoyed watching Click as I have come across the problem that years seem to float by as I sail on autopilot and life strolls along without me. I am also glad that I have taken moments to stop and enjoy things along the way. I enjoyed A Scanner Darkly, but you need to be in a philosophical mood to watch that one and perhaps not so depressed since (like The Pursuit of Happyness) it is based on a novel that reflects true events. I think the most mediocre film was De Niro's A Good Shepard.

I respect De Niro as much as I do Matt Damon and Angelina Jolie, but I thought De Niro would have demanded more character development from his screenwriters. The only time we see Jolie is when she throws a brief fit and cries before vanishing from the screen. De Niro makes a few cameo performances and Damon's character never truly evolves or declines. He remains at the same plateau during the whole movie. The only thing that we can see is that Damon's character is suppose to be love torn as he seems to sleep with his fair share of women and proclaiming love to most.

Well it is nearly 9pm and Adrian is still not home. I must give him a call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home