Wednesday, November 15, 2006

"Open your window and say is your house clean today?"

My father rarely watches a film with my mother and I, because he believes that cinema no longer produces anything of value. There are the odd occasions when he does sit down with us and one day we all saw a film where a preacher leaned against a balcony railing and exclaimed, "Open your window and say is your house clean today?!" Although this line was meant as a metaphor for people to examine their lives and cleanse themselves of previous sins, my mother and I imagined an average person flinging open their shutter doors and screaming this question. We imagined ourselves strolling along our sidewalk only to see our neighbours wailing fervently "Is your house clean today?!"

There are several cultures who do see a deep correlation between the tidiness of their homes and the state of their souls. A cluttered or messy room would mean a soul lost in chaos or gone astray. You can imagine the state of my place in the previous weeks. Adrian and I would try to tidy it up for our guests, but the next day it would seem like a tornado rampaged our apartment and tore it apart.

You can also imagine our delight when our cabinet and dresser was finally delivered in the morning. I spent most of the day organizing and clearing out all the clutter. I even took some pictures! It is remarkable how much a clean room and apartment can do for some one's overall health and state of mind. Adrian and I were finally able to sleep properly and work more efficiently. I shall post the pictures soon.

I also started some lessons and am reading my books on teaching. I have also ruled out some professions and started considering others.... I am so happy now that I can finally say that my house is clean today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home