Friday, November 10, 2006

It may be difficult to decipher how large a hole that may be in the ground, but it is an imprint of when the bombs were dropped along Normandy. an average person can wander through the different slopes and holes made by these bombs and circle around where they have hit. It is truly remarkable and sorrowful to see the tragedy still in place after all these years.

I can still remember my reaction when I crawled through one of the trenches and slithered into a tiny manhole. I pressed my fingers against the cold cement and glanced upwards. I felt so elated to see the sky above my head and I slowly stood up. I swirld around to gather a bearing of my surroundings and all I could see was the devestation left behind. I could hear the sea roaring and the gentle wind upon my face. I imagined what it would be like as a solder re immersing into all the madness and chaos of the war, yet so happy just to see some form of light. It had an eerie feeling as I hoisted myself out of the hole and kneeled down upon the pavement and encouraged Ellen to discover this feeling as well. It is something I shall not soon forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home