Sunday, November 19, 2006

Weekly Update

You know you had an interesting week when you are squealing with delight, rushing to the emergency room, and lounging with a friend.

MOVIES
Due to the melodrama in my life, I have been falling drastically behind in my Italian class. I thought renting an Italian film may help me become more familiar with the language. I rented Respiro and the only benefit the film had was to remind me of the life that I miss so dearly. Although I am not fond of how the group of boys behave in the story, I do like the metaphorical storytelling and the slow pace in which the villagers live. There is never a rush to do anything nor are the people shackled to their cellphones, computers and everything else in life that is suppose to make it better only to interfere with it. I know my father would not like it for the ending is symbolic and leaves the person yearning for more answers.

Adrian was quite excited to see The Lake House and I thought the premise of the film was interesting. I really like the dog who connects these two souls lost in a time warp. It is quite beautiful and there is a part of me who wishes I could rest in a glass house on a lake. I enjoy the illusion that you are floating on the water, but as the characters point out it does lack a certain amount of privacy. It is a great chick flick and we both enjoyed it.

Our favorite fillm would be Happy Feet. Baby Mumble is so adorable and there is a nice twist in the middle of the film that is quite educational for children. There are some scenes which I think are too frightening and surreal for young children, but Ramon will quickly lighten their spirits. It has a great ensemble and the transitions between song and speech is remarkable. I think if you enjoyed Moulin Rouge, you will enjoy this film. I would be more than happy to discuss this film with others who have seen it.

SORTING OUT MY LIFE
I began my lesson plans with a certain amount of dread, despair, excitement and enthusiasm. The task seemed daunting, but the chance to prove I can handle myself thrilled me. I started working on literacy activities that would be benefical for all grades and started working on lessons for Lives of the Saints. I also enjoyed reading my Teacher Survival Book and the beginning of "Getting the Buggers to Behave" as it has sections for me to review on how to be an effective teacher. The review is refreshing and sparks my interest in teaching.

I also finished reading "I'm an English Major, Now What?" and started reading "What Colour is Your Parachute?". The idea that I could start my life anew and seek a career that would best suit my skill set fascinated me. You could hear me squealing in delight and I felt rejuvenated.

The only draw back is that I always felt torn between these two paths. I knew that I needed to rest, because the housechores and sorting out my life was slowly dragging me down and making me stressed. I once woke up at 3am just to try to do all the work I wanted to accomplish.

MY FIRST HOSPITAL CARD
I awoke yesterday morning with the uneasy feeling that there were tiny little hands clinging onto my pajamas and pulling me into the bed so that I would have to use all my energy just to sit up. This sensation never left me despite the fact that Adrian and I had full meals, went downstairs to use our gym in the apartment and I took a few steps outside for some fresh air. I would spend most of the day in bed. Adrian mentioned that he was feeling a bit queasy himself and thought our apartment may have an unusual amount of carbon monxide that day or perhaps we were not eating correctly. He had felt much better once he took the garbage out and went out to buy my newspaper - I did not.

He came into the apartment and saw me perched on my chair in front of the computer screen. I was slumped forward and leaning on my arms. He leaned into hug me and my eyes drooped as I slumpt off the chair. He caught me before I hit the ground. He wanted to take my blood sugar level, but I have a fear of people pricking my fingers with needles. He immediately ran around looking for the closest hospital and a taxi number.

The taxi drove us to the ER and I felt a bit better while waiting for the triage nurse, but not audible for him to hear me. Adrian had to speak on my behalf. I had two cookies and some water that Adrian packed for me and felt better to start reading my parachute book. We saw the nurse and she took some blood. We saw the doctor and he ran some rudimentary tests before saying I may have muscle weakness, but I am fine. We returned home and I laid down to rest some more and I do feel better.

This is a rather long entry so I shall leave the next part for another entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home